Thursday, March 24, 2011

Making Fabric Rosettes


I've seen these cute little headbands all over the place recently and I've got to tell you that I'm in love with them.  They are just so sweet, aren't they?  I think they look just as cute on kids as they do on teens or even adults.  I would totally rock one of these to work, but since I don't work (hehehe), my playdate moms will be the lucky ones to see me in my new head gear instead :).    These are seriously so simple to make, and considering that I have like a million pieces of fabric scrap hanging around my house from making my pillow covers I may have a new hobby!!  **Cue eye roll from CD here.**

Today was my first time making these, and trust me, if I can make them, so can anyone!

What  you need:
Scrap Fabric
Hot Glue Gun or Fabric Glue
Embellishments

Start with a scrap of fabric* about 2 inches wide and 24 inches long depending how big you want your rosette to be.  Mine came out about two inches around and it was perfect for my headband.  You can experiment and make some bigger and some smaller to bunch together for a totally unique look.  *you can even upcycle old t-shirts, dresses etc that may not be worthy of the goodwill.

Pinch the end of the fabric into a fan and use a hot glue gun to glue it together at the very end.  (ugh, nothing like a nice close up to realize that you desperately need a manicure!)

Start twisting the fabric and rolling into a ball around the glued end of the fabric, gluing the fabric as you go. No need to glue the entire way around, just when you feel like it needs some glue to hold it in place.

Almost done...

When you have a little bit of a tail left over, tuck the fabric to the back of the rosette and glue it down.


You can leave it plain, or embellish it with pearls, rhinestones, beads, feathers. Anything you want.  Go crazy! I stuck to pearls because it's what I had on hand.  Next time I'm doing feathers!!


The final product.  I am so proud of myself!!  I glued mine to a headband, but you can just as easily glue yours to an alligator clip or a fabric stretchy band.

Looks like my little princess liked it too! With hair that wild and curly, I better get started on more headbands for her...I think she needs them...:)




UPDATE: I made a few more of these this afternoon in about 15 minutes (yep, total!). Love it!!  

3 comments:

  1. Wow, so easy! No sewing needed :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a great tutorial! Thanks for sharing!I am gonna try and make them for my daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. Great way to use fabric scraps - and feel fancy!

    ReplyDelete